Saturday, July 9, 2011

The long journey home

Sitting on the plane to amsterdam reflecting back on our experience. Working with these teens it's impossible not to mourn their circumstances. The horror stories we hear about life in the orphanage, so much of it we're not sure we can even believe. There are so many good souls in this place. When God's love shines in this place it reflects back through the children - their smiles and their joy. These kids are jaded and hardened by life, and capable of some terrible things, but when we're there, they can put that identity down, even just for a week. They can love us and each other from another place - from Christ's love.  As we despair over their situation we struggle with our response. Who will save these children? Can we not do more? Must we not? If not us, then whom? I learned this trip that working with these kids over the past two years has challenged my trust in the Lord - in His divine plan for these kids and on this earth. I think this trip I finally acknowledged that it can't be my own burden, but that it's His, and though I don't see how exactly He cares for His children, I must trust that He does. Otherwise the weight of this will crush me. His yoke is easy because it is His, not mine.  By giving it to Him I am able to celebrate the fruit we do see,  like Oleg A singing his heart out during worship, or praying with my group of ten kids because they all believe in Christ. I am not sure how in the future God will use me in the lives of these kids, but I know He is after them. We'll be home today. Please pray that God would bless our travels and our hearts on this long journey home.  - Russ Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment